mainimage

About us

The Blithfield Estate is owned by South Staffs Water, which provides some 330 million litres of water each day to around 550,000 homes and businesses in parts of the Black Country, East and South Staffordshire and South Derbyshire.


The company, originally the South Staffordshire Waterworks Company, was formed in 1853. One hundred years later, the Queen Mother opened the reservoir following the purchase of the land that forms the Estate – much of it from Lord Bagot of Blithfield Hall.


Until 2009, the Estate had remained largely closed to the public. However, assistance and help from Natural England, along with advice from the West Midland Bird Club and the Staffordshire Wildlife Trust, led to the company deciding to create footpaths and install bird hides and feeding stations in order to open up much of the Estate, so that everyone can enjoy this tranquil corner of England.